This light fluffy, protein-rich, low-calorie bread alternative is great if you craving a good sandwich but running out of calories to eat. It is simple and quick to make, just see for yourself …
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons cottage cheese
- 1 Tablespoon of sugar/sweetener
- 1/4 Teaspoon cream of tartar
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Ensure that no yolk gets in the white of the egg otherwise it will flop.
- Beat together the egg yolk, cottage cheese and sugar. Set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat until firm peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg yolk mixture into the beaten egg whites. It should still be light and fluffy.
- Spray a baking sheet with some spray and cook or layer with some baking paper.
- Spoon the amount of mixture according to the size you would like, I usually get between 6-8. and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
The only one negative I have is that because its so light and airy it tends to crumble easily and also get soggy way quicker than bread but there you have a low calorie high protein bread alternative, 2 pieces being 78 calories, 1.8g of carbs and 5.9g of protein. Compared to 2 slices of white bread being 160 calories, 30g of carbs and 4g of protein. Can you see the difference?
If you have given this a try let us know what you think, and what it goes best with